By Cheryl Grenick
: Congratulations! If you are reading this article, you are likely planning to pursue post-secondary education. You probably already know that the amount of education you have can broaden or limit your career options. It can determine whether you can find employment, the type of careers available to you, your chance of finding a career you are passionate about, and how much money you will earn. One of the biggest perks of a diploma, degree, or trade certification is that these credentials have been proven to guarantee a higher income. Individuals who attain some post-secondary education or training tend to earn more. In other words – a post-secondary education definitely pays off!
Many people are overwhelmed by the variety of education and training options available to them. Which one is right for you and how do you choose? There are a lot of possibilities, and may even include a combination of several options. The key is figuring out which is right for you. Ask yourself the big questions:
- What types of occupations do I find interesting?
- What do I want to get out of further education?
- Where do I want to be in five years?
- What kind of learner am I?
- What type of school is the best fit for me?
The Vancouver Education & Career Fair is a one-day event that will be held at the Vancouver Convention Centre – East (Canada Place) on Wednesday, November 30, 2011. The event is open from 9:00am – 7:00pm and admission is only $5.00
Over 5,000 job seekers, career changers, adult learners, and those choosing a post-secondary institution are expected. The event will allow attendees the opportunity to interact with close to 100 exhibitors who are representing a wide range of higher education options, careers, employment, government agencies, and professional associations from BC, other Canadian provinces, United States and International destinations. The representatives will be providing information such as course offerings, admission requirements and other details important to the selection process. A variety of industries such as culinary arts, health care, media arts, esthetics and aviation will be on hand to provide participants with information about their industry and what it takes to excel within it.
Some of the post-secondary institutions and employers that will exhibiting at the event include:
- North Island College
- Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts
- Blanche MacDonald Centre
- BC Corrections
- Young Drivers of Canada
- John Casablancas Institute
- Vancouver Acting School
- Taseko Mines Limited
- Disney English
- BC Council on Admissions & Transfers
- Sun Life Financial
- Language College
- Centre for Arts and Technology
- Nicola Valley Institute of Technology
- Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine
- Vancouver Community College
- Langara College
- Musicians Institute
- West Island College International – Class Afloat
- Royal Roads University
- New York Institute of Technology
- Thompson Rivers University
- University of the Fraser Valley
- University of California, Irvine
- Laureate International Universities
- Simon Fraser University – Surrey Campus
- Kwantlen Polytechnic University
- University of Guelph
- University of British Columbia – School of Theology
- Canada Student Loans Program
- King’s University College
- Tyndale University
- University of Victoria
- Johnson & Wales University
- Quest University
- IMI University Centre, Switzerland
- Capilano University
- Association of BC Land Surveyors
- Aboriginal Tourism Association
Attendees have access to Seminar Sessions that are presented by industry professionals in two topic areas:
Trades & Technology
- Career Options
Seminars are 30 minutes in length and cover details about certain industries and in-demand careers in the labor market.
This is a great opportunity for parents to come in with their teens and meet with the representatives. More information about the events, the complete exhibitor list, seminar programs and scholarship opportunities will be available in the upcoming months so please check back at our website at www.educationcareerfairs.com.
Our events are very unique in that attendees are able to speak one-on-one with school representatives and be exposed to career options that they may not have known about previously. Attendees have the opportunity gain valuable information which could literally change the course of their lives. We are extremely proud to be a part of educating youths in such a phenomenal way!
Marketing and Sales Manager
ECF (Education & Career Fairs)
2101-1177 West Hastings Street
Vancouver, BC, Canada
V6E 2K3 Phone D: 604-639-3928