Are we there yet?” A Symposium on Racism, Discrimination & Racial Equality
Being hosted by the African & Caribbean Heritage Students’ Association at Simon Fraser University
Since the 1970s and 80s in particular, Canada’s need for growth has facilitated changes in immigration policies that have increased immigration to Canada. Today, the Canadian landscape continues to be an increasingly ‘multicultural’ one, attracting people from different countries and of different ethnicities who bring with them diverse but unique cultural experiences. But how well is multiculturalism embraced and fostered in Canada? And are ‘immigrants’ continually made to feel like ‘immigrants’? This symposium aims to open up discussions around issues of discrimination and racism, highlighting how they are often challenged and negotiated, as well as identifying strategies for community (and self) empowerment. Bringing together students, researchers and practitioners from across different fields, we will engage in critical discussions on issues of racial equality, multiculturalism, immigration, diversity, access and community. The symposium will be vital in the creation of a platform for discussion around these issues, and for sharing experiences, strategies and solutions.
1) Mr. Graeme Sampson, Counselling Student
2) Mr. Jerry Gbardy, Chairman & Board of Directors, Liberian Canadian Association of BC
3) Mr. Honore’ Gbedze, Publisher, The Afro News and President & CEO Privilege Group
4) Dr. Andy Mtambo, Clinical Trials Coordinator, Canadian HIV Trials Network Pacific Region
5) Ms. Danica DenommeSime, Diversity & Resource Services, Abbotsford Community Services
6) Ms. Nadine Chambers, Coordinator, SFU Women’s Centre
7) Ms. Jeanne Nzyiemana, Outreach Case Coordinator, Burnaby Family Life
Date: Tuesday March 26, 2013 @ 5:30pm – 8:00pm
Venue: SFU’s Harbour Centre Campus, Vancouver, room 7000 (Earl & Jennie Lohn Policy Room)
To register for the symposium, please do so via: http://cgi.sfu.ca/~hccweb/cgi-bin/OnlineRegistration/site/event/detail.php?id=625
Seating is VERY limited! Cost is free!
For further information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Are We There Yet?
African & Caribbean Heritage Students’ Association
Simon Fraser University British Columbia, Canada