Dear Putumayo fan,
I apologize for using this forum, but, after months of watching the hostile and negative Donald Trump campaign, I can no longer stand aside. I founded Putumayo to encourage a more positive and accepting view of other cultures. Yes, the world is filled with challenges, but isolating ourselves and denigrating many of the people and cultures that make America great is not a path toward success, peace or harmony.
I understand that you may be unsure about voting or are supporting a 3rd party candidate as is your right. But, I’m concerned that could elect Donald Trump, much as voters who stayed home or voted for Ralph Nader instead of Al Gore helped elect George Bush in 2000. I recognize that Hillary has made mistakes but, after decades of service, what leader hasn’t?
On balance, there is no comparison:
1. Donald Trump demeans women. Hillary has worked her whole life to support and improve the status of women.
2. Trump also disrespects Latinos, Muslims, African-Americans, heroes and people with disabilities, among many others. His hyperbole, lies and bullying remind me more of Joe McCarthy than any other politician in the modern era. Rather than stand up for the freedoms America holds so dear, Trump pounces on anyone who disagrees with him, often promising to sue them. Hillary is inclusive, yet tough and optimistic, yet pragmatic.
3. Trump doesn’t believe in global warming and has no apparent concerns about the environment. Hillary would protect the environment.
4. After Sandy Hook, Trump still has refused to accept a ban on assault weapons and is against reasonable background checks. Hillary is for sensible gun laws and has worked her entire life to protect and support children.
5. Trump’s financial approach will provide trillions of dollars of tax breaks to wealthy individuals and corporations and will likely spark a global trade war. His import tax proposals are reminiscent of the Smoot Halley protective tariffs of 1930 that worsened the Great Depression. Hillary’s economic policies provide a fair minimum wage, a reasonable tax plan and continuing economic growth.
6. Trump has built scores of ugly buildings, invested in “quick buck” casinos and lost hundreds of millions declaring multiple bankruptcies, stiffing small business and thousands of workers in the process. Is that how he’ll manage America’s economy? President Obama inherited an economy in free fall from President Bush and turned it around adding more than 10 million jobs with incomes rising again.
7. The Clinton Global Initiative has a track record of arranging for hundreds of millions of dollars in disaster relief, training and more to troubled American, Asian, African, Haitian and Latin American people. The Trump Foundation has done little more than buy a self-portrait.
8. Trump has even promoted Russian hacking and meddling in American elections. To me, this is tantamount to treason and is far worse than Hillary’s use of a personal server as several Secretaries of State did before her.
9. Trump has admitted he loves fighting and can’t seem to control himself. You want more dysfunction, chaos and war, he’s your man.
No candidate is perfect but I believe Hillary’s lifetime of experience, learning what works and what doesn’t, inclusiveness and working across the aisle will help her unite and lead America in a positive direction.
Thank you for reading. I’m sorry if I offended anyone. I hope you’ll vote for Hillary and convince others to do so. It’s important!